Abraham The Pharmacist
Sciatica: Sciatic Pain Relief Exercises Stretches
Sciatica. This video is about Sciatica Pain Relief, Exercises, Stretches and Symptoms. Learn How To Treat Sciatica.
Hey friends, this weeks video is for anyone who is suffering with Sciatica. We're looking at various different treatment options for sciatica pain relief, this includes exercises and stretches. I really hope my video helps you! Here are the chapters to the video,
00:06 What Is Sciatica
00:13 Sciatica Symptoms
00:52 Sciatica Pain Relief
01:31 Sciatica Exercises
03:00 Sciatica Stretches
05:27 When To Seek Medical Advice
05:48 How To Treat Sciatica
06:04 How To Prevent Sciatica
WHAT IS SCIATICA:
Sciatica is when the sciatic nerve, which runs from your hips to your feet, is irritated. It usually gets better in 4 to 6 weeks but can last longer.
SYMPTOMS OF SCIATICA:
If you have sciatica, your:
• Backs of your legs
• Feet and toes
• Painful – the pain may be stabbing, burning or shooting
• Tingling – like pins and needles
Your symptoms may be worse when moving, sneezing or coughing.
You may also have back pain, but this is not usually as bad as the pain in your bottom, legs or feet.
Now we know the most important thing you can do is remain active and carry on with your normal activities as much as you can that’s always the main thing I tell all my patients and if you can try to incorporate these five simple daily regular back stretches (shown in video) into your day to help ease sciatic pain and improve your strength and flexibility.
Aim to do these exercises every day along with other activities like walking, like swimming like yoga and your pain should start to ease within 2 weeks and usually pass in about 4-6 weeks.
But if the pain doesn’t improve within a few weeks, the pain is getting worse or you experience severe pain while trying any of these exercises please make an appointment to see your doctor. I have left a full list on seeking medical attention below.
WHEN TO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION FOR SCIATICA:
Make an appointment to see a healthcare professional if your Sciatica,
• Has not improved after trying home treatments for a few weeks
• Is getting worse
• Is stopping you doing your normal activities
Please visit accident and emergency or call 999 if you,
• Have sciatica on both sides
• Have weakness or numbness in both legs that is severe or getting worse
• Have numbness around or under your genitals, or around your anus
• Find it hard to start peeing, cannot pee or cannot control when you pee – and this is not normal for you
• Do not notice when you need to poo or cannot control when you poo – and this is not normal for you
These could be symptoms of a serious back problem that needs to be treated in hospital as soon as possible.
HOW TO STOP SCIATICA COMING BACK:
To reduce the chances of getting sciatica again:
• Stay active – take regular exercise
• Use a safe technique when lifting heavy objects
• Make sure you have a good posture when sitting, standing and using a computer. As mentioned in the video the NHS have a useful article on this topic that can be found here,
• Lose weight if you're overweight - As mentioned in the video I have quite a few evidence based videos on this topic which you can view here,
• Do not smoke – smoking can increase your risk of getting sciatica. As mentioned in the video the NHS have a useful article on this topic that can be found here,
Last weeks videos...
Want to see more videos about everything health and pharmacy? Let me know in the comments below. Subscribe for new videos ▶https://www.youtube.com/c/AbrahamThePharmacist
Prescribing Media Pharmacist | Extreme Optimist | Bringing Science Through New Videos Every Week - Monday 4PM(GMT) YouTube.
I'm a prescribing media pharmacist who loves science, making videos and helping people. I work in both GP surgeries and community pharmacy.
This video is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Abraham The Pharmacist has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Always consult a doctor or other healthcare professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions.
#sciatica #sciaticapainrelief #sciaticaexercises #sciaticastretches #exercisesforsciatica #sciaticasymptoms #whatissciatica #howtotreatsciatica #Sciaticatreatments #AbrahamThePharmacist #UKmediapharmacist #mediapharmacist #pharmacistpresenter #UKpharmacistpresenter