How To Stop Acid Reflux | How To Treat Acid Reflux (2018)
Heartburn a symptom of Acid reflux. This video is about treatment, causes, diet & foods to avoid to naturally stop acid reflux.
Heartburn is a burning feeling in the chest caused by stomach acid travelling up towards the throat (acid reflux). If it keeps happening, it’s called gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD).
Acid reflux is very common in fact 1 in 10 people get acid reflux almost every day! In this weeks video I’m going to give you some great tips that should really help.
This video was sponsored by Dr Fox (Online Doctor & Pharmacy):
MAIN SYMPTOMS OF ACID REFLUX:
• Heartburn – a burning sensation in the middle of your chest
an unpleasant sour taste in your mouth, caused by stomach acid
You may also have:
• Cough or hiccups that keep coming back
• Hoarse voice
• Bad breath
• Wind, Bloating and feeling sick
• Your symptoms will probably be worse after eating, when lying down and when bending over
TIPS THAT HELP WITH ACID REFLUX:
• Eat smaller, more frequent meals
• Raise one end of your bed 10 to 20cm by putting something under your bed or mattress – make it so your chest and head are above the level of your waist, so stomach acid doesn't travel up towards your throat
• Try to lose weight if you're overweight
• Try to find ways to relax
• If you are a smoker stop smoking
• Some foods and drinks may make reflux worse in some people, here is a link to a great acid reflux diet sheet which I mentioned in the video: https://patient.info/health/acid-reflux-and-oesophagitis/features/diet-sheet-for-oesophageal-reflux
• Some medicines may make symptoms worse. They may irritate the oesophagus or relax the sphincter muscle and make acid reflux more likely. Tell your pharmacist if you suspect that a medicine is causing the symptoms, or making symptoms worse.
• Posture. Lying down or bending forward a lot during the day encourages reflux. Sitting hunched or wearing tight belts may put extra pressure on the stomach, which may make any reflux worse.
• Bedtime. If symptoms recur most nights, the following may help:
Go to bed with an empty, dry stomach. To do this, don't eat in the last three hours before bedtime and don't drink in the last two hours before bedtime.
If lifestyle changes and pharmacy medicines aren't helping then please see your GP.
Any of the following red flags should prompt you to urgently see a GP:
• Have heartburn most days for 3 weeks or more
• Have other symptoms, like food getting stuck in your throat or difficulty swallowing
• Are frequently being sick
• Have unexplained weight loss
• Have black or tarry stools
• Have a gnawing, sharp or stabbing pain.
• Feel like you have a lump in your stomach
• Have bloody vomit or poo
I have tried my best to add as many red flag symptoms but incase I have missed anything please make sure to visit the following pages as well,
Want to see more videos about everything health and pharmacy? Let me know in the comments below. Subscribe for new videos ▶https://www.youtube.com/c/AbrahamThePharmacist
Prescribing Media Pharmacist | Extreme Optimist | Bringing Science Through New Videos Every 2 Weeks - Monday 4PM(GMT) YouTube.
I'm a British - Persian - Iranian prescribing media pharmacist who loves science, making videos and helping people. I work in both GP surgeries and community pharmacy.
This video is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Abraham The Pharmacist has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Always consult a doctor or other healthcare professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions.
TAGS: #howtostopacidreflux #howtotreatacidreflux #howtotreatacidrefluxnaturally #acidrefluxtreatment #acidrefluxcauses #heartburntreatment #heartburncauses #acidrefluxfoodstoavoid #acidrefluxdiet #heartburnfoodstoavoid #heartburndiet #acidrefluxmeaning #acidrefluxnhs #heartburnnhs #whatstopsheartburn #AbrahamThePharmacist #UKmediapharmacist #mediapharmacist #pharmacistpresenter #UKpharmacistpresenter